Search

10/14/2012

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones
Cassandra Clare

+++++

Spoilers ahead! If you haven't read City of Bones, don't read any further.

How can I describe this book?

Amazing.

I originally hadn't intended to read City of Bones- I was just going to wait for the movie because my closest friend told me she didn't like The Mortal Instruments. But the cover was so interesting I had to pick it up. And once I picked it up... Is there a rune for awestruck?

The plot isn't anything original: 15 year old Clary Fray finds out she's a Shadowhunter, a half-angel, half-human hunter who kills demons, and she falls in love with Jace Wayland, her fellow Shadowhunter, but the two are devastated when they learn they are brother and sister because Valentine, who also happens to be the bad guy/rebellious Shadowhunter they have to kill, is their father, and Jocelyn Fray is their mother. It isn't the plot that drew me in- it was the originality of Clare's world, the way she wrote her characters, and the descriptiveness of her prose. Clary's character was strong and levelheaded, and I loved her as though she were my sister. My heart broke for her when I found out Jace was her brother, because from the moment I met Jace I wanted Clary/Jace. In the bottom of my heart, I still ship their relationship, even if it is incest...

Simon is a sweetheart, but I don't think he's the sweetheart for Clary. Jace is exactly what she needs... the fire for the fire.

Valentine was an amazing addition to the series. He's the perfect type of bad guy- handsome, darkly sexy, menacing, and a cold-blooded killer. That's exactly what I look for in villains. I loved that about him. And I loved that he was Clary's father.

All in all, City of Bones was amazing! Can't wait to read City of Ashes.


No comments:

Post a Comment